Here's an update on last month's post, Five Feeds. My subscription list is now down to 44 and I couldn't be happier! I no longer dread opening my newsreader and can finally keep up with the volume of material. Better still, I now give that material the attention it deserves, rather than obsessively skimming in order to get through the posts.
My tool of choice, NetNewsWire, provides a clever tool that shows you which of your feeds hasn't updated in a number of days [view example]. This is very handy. I found it interesting that only 2 of my 44 feeds hadn't updated at least once in the last 10 days. This gave me the idea for, what else, a list!
Top 5 Ways to Keep Subscribers
1. Send the full text of your posts.
2. Update your blog every 7-10 days.
3. Don't include ads. I'll post more about my week experiment soon.
4. Provide interesting, original content that can't be found elsewhere
5. Provide the extremely valuable service of a human aggregator, someone who knows a subject inside and out, follows the relevant sites and blogs obsessively, and provides a summation for her readers.